Friday, March 6, 2009

Book Review: Smile when you're lying

Let me preface this by saying: I am not a critic, nor am I an author so I probably have no place criticizing this book...but I am going to anyway.


Smile when you're lying is meant to be an expose of the travel industry's darkest secrets by a so-called "rogue" travel writer. What you really get (and I am cutting to the chase here) is 300 pages of self indulgent bull-corn, worn out cliches and exaggerated stories strung together with an unnecessary amount of lame similes.

The irony is, the book is meant to call out how bad travel writing has become, how it is a cookie cutter industry, and how anyone could do it. He thinks travel writers are garbage? He must have been sitting in the same dumpster while writing this book.

He is cynical and tired of life on the road, he hates the travel industry, he hates the commercialized world...cheer up man, you're depressing.

One thing I do appreciate is his view on the Lonely Planet. This hippy garbage is as contrived and commercialized as it gets. But the people who read them don't even realize that Lonely Planet is its own antithesis. Good on ya for noticing that one.

Chuck Thompson: Sorry buddy but if I want to hear about glorified coke binges and close encounters with prostitutes and drunk expats. I'll read...anything... It's been done as many times as a Thai Hooker <---That one's for you.

To sum it up the book was like this blog: pure masturbation (self pleasure).

d.

No comments:

Post a Comment